With the Garmin Edge 520 Plus GPS Enabled Computer, advanced navigation is now available on a training oriented cycle computer, offering the rider the best of both worlds.
The Edge 520 Plus comes preloaded with Garmin’s excellent cycle mapping, and includes turn-by-turn navigation that’s smart enough to guide you back on course should you deviate. It also features ‘Trendline Popularity’ routing data, which essentially indicates which routes cyclists prefer to use.
While the unit is designed to follow courses predetermined by the user, it also features a handy Saved Points function. An example of how this function can be useful, would be to save your home on the Saved Points list, then should you get lost, the unit can help you get back with turn-by-turn navigation.
With Rider-to-rider messaging, you can communicate with your fellow riders (using compatible smartphones), sending prewritten messages straight from your Edge 520 Plus to theirs. This is particularly handy if you want to tell the group you’re peeling off, ask them to wait, or tell another group member you’re waiting for them.
With ANT+ connectivity, advanced performance monitoring is possible, where the rider can track their performance using metrics measured by speed, cadence and heart rate sensors (all sold separately). Compatible power meters can provide even more data for analysis, so you can fully optimise your performance.
Customise the device with apps from Garmin’s ConnectIQ store to add additional functionality, such as weather predicting apps. The Edge 520 Plus is also compatible with Garmin’s Varia range (sold separately), which brings a whole new level of safety to cycling with smart bike lights and rearview radar functions, that alert the head unit when cars are approaching from behind.
- Features advanced navigation, including new rider alerts and the preloaded Garmin Cycle Map with turn-by-turn directions for on and off road courses
- Preloaded Strava Live Segments let you compete second by second with your previous best or another rider’s PR; see real-time results right on your screen
- Stay connected with LiveTrack and GroupTrack, smart notifications, rider-to-rider messaging and built-in Incident Detection
- Monitors cycling-specific VO2 max and recovery time when used with power and heart rate sensors
- Tracks Functional Threshold Power (FTP) and cycling dynamics when used with Vector power meters
- Battery life: up to 15 hours
In the Box:
- Edge 520 Plus
- Flush out-front mount
- Standard mount
- Charging/data cable